As most of you know, Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me is one of my favorite npr shows, so much so that I even subscribe to the weekly podcast and have their newsquiz daily calendar! I love it! So it's been a while since I've turned the pages in my daily calendar and in doing so today to get to today's date, I came across some which were great (in my opinion). Enjoy!
Saturday, March 1st
"When I was a kid, I inhaled... That was the point."
Q: That's a U.S Senator - and presidential hopeful- talking to The New York Times. Who got a head start on airing out his dirty laundry?
A: Barack Obama. The dreamiest, most swoon-worthy politician since Warren Beatty in Bulworth.
Tuesday, March 4th
Q: The effects of Dick Cheney's 2006 shotgun mishap in Texas were felt as far away as New Jersey, where a state senator, feeling some local pride, asked the Bush administration to designate the town of Weehawken as the place where what happened for the first time?
A: The first time a vice president shot someone. In 1804, when Alexander Hamilton and Vice President Aaron Burr decided they'd settle their differences by shooting each other, they went to New Jersey to see the matter out. Unlike Cheeney, Burr killed his target.
Wednesday, March 5th
Q: In 2004, more than three thousand U.S. troops were discharged for doing what?
A: Getting too fat. All throughout the army, there are clerks, drivers, and other administrative personnel who were suddenly faced with the prospect of getting shot in Iraq. So, apparently, some of them tried to eat their way out of their commitment. If a man surpasses 22% body fat, he gets a discharge.
Sunday, March 9th
Q: Undercover police officers in Virginia insist that the only way to bust a suspected ring of prostitutes is to do what?
A: Engage in their services. The Spotsylvania County Sheriff told The Washington Post, "If I thought we could get the conviction without that, we wouldn't allow it... this has to be done."
And for today...
Q: In 2006, 60 Minutes reported the lack of oversight in handing out the contracts to help rebuild Iraq. To illustrate this really bad accounting, the program showed coalition authorities in Baghdad who used to play little pickup games of football using what as the ball?
A: Bricks of 100-dollar bills. When you're trying to rebuild a country, sometimes things can fall through the cracks. For example, $50 billion.
Fell free to comment as you like :)
No comments:
Post a Comment