I've seen a lot of movies lately thanks to the holidays, being sick (again), the recent snow day and now thanks to my first free weekend with no time spent at the 2nd job. Tonight I was purely too lazy and didn't want to interrupt Cooper on his 2nd nap of the day so instead of changing the channel to find something in which I was more interested I kept the channel right where it was - Gran Torino.
I never wanted to see this movie because in my opinion it was nothing but 2 hours of racial stereotypes, slurs and violence that would just anger and depress me. And it was Clint Eastwood. I enjoyed his work in the Westerns but never really anything since. And I've never seen his work on movies he produced and/or directed. I never gave it a chance.
I was proven wrong in so many ways.
Yes, this movie was full of racism and words that you just don't say anymore and violence that is unthinkable. But it was also full of one of the most touching stories I've come across in a long time. It was real. Racism does exist and violence like this and sometimes even worse happens every day in every town. Whether or not we want to admit it we have all come across a family member or a family member of a friend who holds racial stereotypes for one reason or another. I witnessed it in my Grandfather, Grandmother and unfortunately, I still witness it every day. I won't spoil the movie for those who haven't seen it but all I can say is if you never thought you would like this movie perhaps for one of the reasons I mentioned above or one of your own - give it a chance. You won't be sorry that you did.
It was a story of connections between generations, cultures and wars and it was creatively expressed through the eyes of an aging, disgruntled war vet and his shy, insecure teen neighbor. Both learned from one another in more ways than one. Both came to a sense of peace. Both gained a friendship that meant so much more than even the bonds held with estranged family members. And I think what I loved best was that it was unpredictable. The script was rich with colorful (sometimes too colorful) of language and the characters were deeply rooted within the tale. And the end, well, it was more than I would have imagined - better.
I was left impressed, nostalgic and emotional. Yes, it was sad but more importantly it helps one see the importance of passing down the rules of the land, the stories of the old and the tricks of the trade. Generational and cultural continuity.
I loved it.
Mr. Eastwood, you have left me very impressed and I cannot wait to see more of your work.
No comments:
Post a Comment