With the unseasonably warm weather and a day off work, Kate and I decided to head out to the Castor River Shut-ins for a wonderful outdoor photography experience. Thanks to my inability to make sound decisions it ended up being quite the adventure.
The shut-ins were amazing and I'm sure had we more daylight, more water, perhaps higher temps and appropriate clothing - we could have had an even better time.
For more information, visit the following -
http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/1996/07/10.htm
Kate and I continued along the path and sometimes along the river and rocks catching as many views as possible with our cameras. We went even further down river where we had two choices cross to get even more or head up hill. I scurried on down to the river convinced it was a safe spot to cross. I got pretty close and right before I considered it I tossed my shoes on over to the next rock so my hands would be free for support. Stupidest decision ever! I stuck my leg out into the current and decided it was way too strong in that location and headed back up stream to a slower, safer portion of the river. I handed my top layers over to Kate and conquered one of my biggest fears - swimming across water where the bottom is unknown. You would think with it being a river, no problem but because of the dark moss, it made the rocks seem closer to the surface and where I thought I would step onto a rock it was a giant hole. I was about 4 feet deep in a medium current river and swimming across in what should have been frigid water (thank you global warming). I made it to the shoes and thought I should toss them back to Kate because I needed my full support to get back. Well, good thing I don't make my living off of my ability to throw. I missed, horribly and one landed on a rock too far from Kate's reach and the other slowly headed down stream to it's new life.
So, what was so great about these shoes? Nothing really when compared to the stupid decision I made. But the background to these favorite flats - These were an unexpected find while on vacation in Utah. It was the fastest shoe shopping experience of my lifetime - in less than 5 minutes I found and purchased what would become my favorite pair of shoes - American Eagle black and white striped ballet flats. You may find it odd that I was "hiking" in such shoes but I told Kate I was amazed at how much balance and grip they provided on the rock. May they find a peaceful home somewhere down river. Here's the closest thing I could find online but I just don't know if they would be the same...
http://store.shopavenue26.com/720cwdbwstripedbf.html
Once I stumbled back up the hillside I had to hike back out to the car, barefoot and soaking wet. My feet are bruised, my ego is crushed by stupidity and I miss my shoes. Overall, it was a fun day and next time, I will go with my smarts and better footwear! Thanks to Kate for her support!
Here are some photos from the day trip -
No comments:
Post a Comment