Food. Everyone loves it. Some people too much. Some people not enough. Some people waste what they have and others don't have any.
It's hard to believe that a little over 3 years ago I was having doubts about "eating out". Background to that - I had a peanut reaction at one of my favorite restaurants and it all came down to an issue with waiter trust. It was probably one of the most severe reactions I've had. Not only the physical but the emotional baggage which followed. I was terrified to "eat out". The peanut blogs were criticizing me for every trying it. But all I could think was "who lives life that way; afraid of what could happen?"
Fast forward. I moved to St. Louis and was determined to become a magnificent chef (this still hasn't happened). Instead I became connected to the young professionals of the International Institute St. Louis (IISTL). Soon I found myself chairing their social committee and not too long thereafter I was creating an international dinner club. The girl who considered Olive Garden a night on the town was now searching for ethnic restaurants to satisfy the stomachs of anyone who would join.
Hit fast forward again. It's been 2 years since it started and the International dinner club of i squared (the young professionals of the International Institute St. Louis) is still a big hit.
Over the past 2 years we have visited 20 restaurants and it has been amazing. I have had experiences and eaten food that I never thought imaginable. I've fallen in love with Bosnian, Middle Eastern, Japanese (sushi), Peruvian, Mediterranean, Greek, Brazilian, Ethiopian, true Italian, German, Persian, African and Argentine foods. Below is a complete list of the restaurants we've visited if you'd like to try them.
I first started by selecting places that were popular on the website of Sauce magazine but then our group grew to over 20 people at one dinner and the search was on to meet the demand. I couldn't have done it without a dedicated committee and social co-chair. Together we found places that were ethnic, immigrant owned, authentic and of course wonderfully delicious.
St. Louis is a gem in that we exist as a collection of people and cultures from all over the world. I have met people at dinner club from the returned Peace Corps. volunteers, volunteers of the International Institute and those who have received services from the IISTL. And sometimes we gain a new fan - someone who has heard about the dinner club from word of mouth.
Well, this is a bittersweet moment. The 2 years of planning, organizing and hosting the dinner clubs has come to an end. With my transition to the Junior Board of the Institute I will begin to engage myself in other ways and someone new will resume the dinner club, happy hours, book club and film series. And my last supper could not have been better!
Tonight we sampled Bosnian food at Grbic (4701 Keokuk St.). I have been a huge fan of Bosnian food and Bosna Gold ever since dinner club began but tonight was right up there among the favorites. The environment was captivating, the service was charming and the food was exceptional. For the first time ever I had quality stuffed cabbage rolls. The first time since I have found any that match the quality of my dad's recipe. They were remarkable. I will definitely be heading back to Grbic soon!
What I love most about dinner club is of course, the food, but the people I have met, the stories I have heard about how each of us are connected to Saint Louis and the International Institute and the conversation. We could talk about the Columbian government or the sound of the chirp of the Baltimore Oriole. Every time it's great and it brings a huge smile to my face and a satisfied feeling to my stomach.
Thank you to the restaurants who have been a part of this wild ride; the volunteers and friends who have helped plan it and keep it alive; the International Institute staff for their continuous support and of course the patrons of our little International dinner club. And on a personal note - thank you for helping me expand my palate and stretch my bravery when it comes to "eating out".
For more information on how you can become a fan of this dinner club visit the following site - www.iistl.org/young_friends_network.php
You can also send an email to i2reservations@gmail.com for more information or email me (I'll still be connected somehow I'm sure). Have any places you would like to see on the 2010 list, email us at i2reservations@gmail.com. Remember, ethnic, immigrant owned and they can accommodate large groups.
Dinner is the 3rd Tuesday of each month at 7 pm and the schedule will be posted in advance. This November we will spend our time volunteering at the Institute's annual Thanksgiving Feast and in December we will focus on our happy hour where we collect donations for the teens at the Institute. The 2010 calendar of dinners is coming soon!!
20 restaurants in 2 years -
Bosna Gold: Bosnian Cuisine, 4601 Gravois Ave., St. Louis
Aya Sofia: Middle Eastern Cuisine, 6671 Chippewa St., St. Louis
Wasabi Sushi Bar: Japanese Cuisine, 16 S. Central Ave., Clayton
Momos: Greek Cuisine, 630 N and South Rd, St. Louis
Mango: Peruvian Cuisine, 7307 Watson Rd., Shrewsbury
Ruchi: Indian Cuisine, 12513 Olive Blvd., St. Louis
Cafe Provencale: French Cuisine, 427 S. Kirkwood Rd, St. Louis
Maya Cafe: Pan-Latin Cuisine, 2726 Sutton Blvd., Maplewood
House of Wong: Chinese Cuisine, 12366 Olive Blvd., Creve Coeur
Meskerem Ethiopian: African Cuisine, 3210 S. Grand Blvd., St. Louis
Bevo Mill: German Cuisine, 4749 Gravois Ave., St. Louis
Gian Tony's: Italian Cuisine, 5356 Daggett Ave., St. Louis
Fritanga: South American Cuisine, 2208 S. Jefferson Ave, St. Louis ** We had to cancel due to a storm but we will re-visit
LuLu's Dim Sum: Chinese Cuisine, 8224 Olive Blvd., St. Louis
Cafe Natasha's Kabob International: Persian Cuisine, 3200 S. Grand Ave, St. Louis
Kim Son Vietnamese Bistro: Vietnamese Cuisine, 8080 Olive Blvd, St. Louis
Astoria European Cuisine: Russian Cuisine, 12949 Olive Blvd, Creve Coeur
Nubia Cafe: African Cuisine, 5860 Delmar Blvd, St. Louis
Thai Gai Yang Cafe: Thai Cuisine, 6250 Delmar Blvd, St. Louis
Everest Cafe & Bar: Nepalese Cuisine, 4145 Manchester Rd, St. Louis
Grbic Restaurant: Bosnian Cuisine 4017 Keokuk St., St. Louis
No comments:
Post a Comment