A lot has happened in my life which I need to share on here. Good things, great things and bad things. Pictures, memories and stories are to come. But in the mean time I need to share some thoughts and memories about a friend from my youth who I will forever miss.
A girl I met at a very young age, Miss Bunny Watson, has gone on. She passed after injuries sustained from a biking accident in Draper, Utah on July 14, 2010. She leaves behind a very loving family and deeply caring community and circle of friends. Most importantly, she leaves behind two beautiful daughters who I know will carry on in their mother's way...
It has been hard. Challenging because I am not there to say my goodbyes and give a hug full of love to her parents and family. Upsetting knowing that her husband will have some very tough days ahead of him. Sad because her girls have lost an amazing mother.
Bunny from the first moment I met her was a friend. We first met in our very essence of youth as dancers at Miss Pearl's Life Arts Center. I remember loving her brilliant blonde hair and being amazed by her skills. She could skip so much better than I ever could!
Class was always an adventure. She would always be there with a smile, her laugh and occasionally she would bring her lovely sense of humor. One time in class we were dancing on and around the props (the big long plank that hung over the two monkey-bar looking towers) and I was wearing my new and favorite skirt/shorts combo. It was a blue and white striped skirt with the spandex type white shorts underneath. Perfect for dance class! Bunny thought so too. So there we are dancing and next thing I know she pantsed me in front of the entire class. Everyone laughed but above all was Bunny's laugh - full of life and fun. Nothing but smiles all around. Fast forward a year or so later and I was pantsed again in this same skirt in math class. I guess Bunny knew!
The years went on and her dancing amazed all. I always aspired to put as much heart into my dance as she did. She filled the stage with charm, grace and beauty. What she felt - you felt. I was fortunate enough to also become friends with Bunny away from the dance studio. The sleepovers and birthday parties were always fun and will forever be memorable.
I will never forget the tough time in her life when she lost her older brother David in a car accident. I remember how sad she was; how hurt she was; how sad we all were for her and her family. It changed everyone and it could have changed Bunny. It didn't. She kept smiling; kept cheering others up; that's what she did.
Enter middle school. This could be a time when kids have a tough go adapting to a new school, new group of friends. Bunny didn't have that trouble. She became friends with everyone. Not because she wore the coolest clothes (which she did) or because she was most popular - she was just that way. Her way of life pulled others in around her; her smile warmed the shyest of kids and her laugh made every "who am I" day easier. Our dancing days continued at LAC and we were blessed to dance together in 9th Grade, on dance company. Oh, the memories! The early days, the crazy class with Miss Becky and those insane costumes! But where was Bunny? In the corner pulling a funny face, telling a joke, making you laugh. Always!
We went our separate ways in high school. She pursued Cheer and I went onto Dance company. She was brilliant. Again she excelled in the class, with friends and with Cheer. Some may say that Cheerleaders are in their own group. Heck, that is said a lot in high school. I know I thought it and felt it. But when I would see Bunny in the halls and in class it was as if we were still the friends from our early years at LAC. She would smile, wave and say hi! Homecoming game. We just performed on the field during halftime and we had 30 seconds or something crazy like that to exit the field. Cheer ran on to do their routine and it just so happened that my end pose was right by her starting position. She gave me a huge smile and a big thumbs up. It said it all. Here is a girl that could be busy focusing on her routine (it was what anyone would do) and she was there congratulating me.
We both went onto the U of U but unfortunately very rarely saw one another. I would bump into her here and there but none were as memorable as the time my sister and I saw her at a concert. This was when we met Luke. She was so incredibly happy and in love. As if this girl could become any happier?! Luke was a lucky man to have such an amazing woman by his side in this life. I was so happy for them!
Then came Facebook. Oh how social networking made the big world seem smaller. I was out in Missouri but could still feel like I was connected with friends from my youth thanks to this website. She would email me, compliment me on my photos and those of my family and stay in touch. I could see how much she loved life through her exercise, work and family and friends. If there was a way to model your life, it was after hers.
Then in 2008 I lost a dear friend, Heather Gross to an avalanche in Utah. I was heartbroken and more distraught than I had been in a long time. Bunny was right there supporting me, seeing the positive and smiling like Heather would. And when I finally saw Bunny in person at our 10 year high school reunion it was like a breath of long-awaited fresh air to give her a hug to say thank you for being an amazing friend over my lifetime and for her recent support over Heather. She was amazing and I will always treasure that moment.
So I guess if anything could come from the tragic loss of another childhood friend who I laughed and smiled with along my journey in life it would be this -
We get this one shot (sometimes way too short) at life so give it all you have,
Make jokes,
Create and share in laughter,
Smile your heart out,
Dance like no one is watching,
Dance like everyone is watching,
Find joy in even the smallest of things,
Help those around you,
and never let the twinkle in your eye or the skip in your step fall dim.
Bunny wouldn't.
She's with her brother, smiling, laughing and looking forward to watching her daughters grow and become brilliant women. Just like their mother.
Bunny - I will forever remember you and miss you.
Thank you for sharing your love of life with so many, especially me.
To Luke, Clare, Maggie, Barbara & John and all of Bunny's family and friends - you are now and will forever be in my thoughts. You will make it through this. Smiling on the other side.
No comments:
Post a Comment