Tuesday, June 3, 2008

npr/KWMU story

Today, St. Louis on the air covered a very interesting topic:

St. Louis on the Air - Archives

June 03, 2008 - St. Louis's Urban Crisis
A discusson about the causes and consequences of the urban crisis in St. Louis.



Guests
Colin Gordon
Professor of History and Chair of Department of History
University of Iowa
Author of "Mapping Decline: St. Louis and the Fate of the American City" and "Dead on Arrival: The Politics of Health in Twentieth Century America"

Terry Jones, Ph.D.
Professor of Political Science
University of Missouri - St. Louis

If you get a chance, listen to the podcast (http://www.kwmu.org/programs/slota/archivedetail.php?showid=3145) because this was very insightful.

Ever since I moved to St. Louis I thought I was moving to this big city that was culturally diverse and instead came upon a city that was still backward and heavily segregated. I was shocked! I have discussed this with people along the way in the past year and a half I've lived here and some agree while others actually dispute this fact. This story/podcast will not only cover the topics of race in St. Louis and how it has led to a divided city but also about Urabn development. I can't wait to read the book!

No comments: