Last year, I set a lot of goals for myself on how to become more, let's say, protective of the environment. This year, I have set more goals and am proud to announce my progress on the goals set for myself last year:
2007 -
I replaced all possible lights in my home with CFL's.
I cut my shower time to 5 minutes.
I turn down the heat and turn up the air when possible (when asleep, when at work, etc).
I only have a light on in the room I'm occupying.
I unplug my cell phone charger when not in use and unplug other items when not at home (power strips).
I turn off my computer and printer when not in use.
I carpool with friends when going places.
I either use my non-plastic, re-useable bags when grocery shopping or recycle plastic bags from home.
I eat less meat and try to buy fruit and veggies from local growers.
I recycle all paper, aluminum, and plastic.
I share my goals and how easy it is to meet such goals with others.
I have cancelled most magazines (except TIME) to cut down on mail.
I receive bills electronically to save paper.
I buy organic food.
I buy paper products made of recycled materials such as corn, potatoes, and limestone.
I send e-cards rather than paper cards.
2008 -
I will continue all of the above.
I will find ways to educate myself on how I can do more.
I will offset the carbon emissions from using my car.
I will offset carbon emissions when doing air travel.
I will look into the possibility of selling my car sooner rather than later and purchase a fuel efficient scooter.
If the scooter plan doesn't happen, I will fix my bike and bike to work and the grocery store.
I will purchase trees (the planting of) in honor of loved ones as gifts.
If you are interested in doing more, below are websites you may find useful:
http://www.cooldriver.org/
http://www.nativeenergy.com/pages/home/1.php
greendimes.com
http://www.earthshare.org/
http://www.americanforests.org/?gclid=CNf5zeX_35ICFQMelgodJlsH-g
http://www.moreleaf.org/
http://www.arborday.org/
seventhgeneration.com
Join me in making a pledge to do what we can to save the Earth and limit our impact this year rather than continuing down this path.
Happy Earth Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment